View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:53 AM
lookmom
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018

I’m not sure if you’re aware (or what I’m missing in your situation), but in order to be able to take the ATP/ATM written test nowadays, you have to meet CFR61.156, which requires that you have a graduation certificate from an ATP-CTP class. Most ATP-CTP facilities have a written test center on-site which is included in the course costs along with the Shepard Air study guide. So, I don’t know why anyone would be concerned about written costs if it is in the “package” deal.

Only reason why those who are (military) eligible would want to take the written test at a military testing facility is because that person wanted additional time to study the Shepard guide after their ATP-CTP class and had access to a military base. Usually you’re scheduled for the written the day after the course graduation at the ATP-CTP center.

I’m an AD military dependant, contacted my local military testing facility, and was informed that I qualified based on dependant status to take the written there. I would’ve had to present the ATP-CTP graduation certificate as well.
Although that’s not your specific status, hope it helps those out there

Originally Posted by yeeeyeee View Post
I’m about to take an ATP written exam. I was in the Navy for 28 days...yes you heard that correctly. I received an administrative discharge due to medical reasons during Officer Candidate School. I did receive an official DD214 for the month I was in. Can I still take the FAA written test at a military facility? I don’t consider myself a veteran or ever really “in the military”, but the test would be free rather than having to spend $165 at a civilian facility.