View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Welcome! Most people here do not use their real names, and you may wish to edit yours out while you have the chance. It's a nice name, but if you get into flaming some regional, asking for advice about your traffic tickets, or stomping SkyHigh you may wish you had anonymity.

I paid my way through flight training with truck driving jobs. It was hard going at times and I ran out of money several times and had to stop. I was grateful for the ability to continue when I could and I learned a lot. I got a multiengine rating and high performance signoff after graduating and getting a better job. But I obtained private, instrument, commercial, and tailwheel ratings by working slow, hourly jobs at a school-run flying club with 5 airplanes.

The key thing is to use your head and save money wherever you can. Use old Cessna/Pipers, not new Diamonds or what have you. Pay no more than $30/hr for a CFI. Borrow books and dvds wherever possible. Study well before flying lessons, to minimize air time. There are a number of threads on this forum on how to save money in training, use the search function for that. Good luck and welcome to your flight training, it is a great deal of fun!

-Cub

Last edited by Cubdriver; 11-24-2007 at 05:02 AM.