Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 AM
jupiter87140
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Thanks again all for your input on this.

I dispute any notion that I falsified anything on my medical questionnaire, and I believe any lawyer would agree with me. I have never brought this up with any doctor in the past, and have never been diagnosed with any "neurological disorder," and therefore it was appropriate to answer "no" to this on the FAA medical questionnaire. I could call up Oklahoma City today, and I'm sure they would tell me the exact same thing. If I had been diagnosed, and answered no, then I would have given a falsified answer on the questionnaire, and obviously be subject to the appropriate penalties. That is not the case here. I'm surprised that some here do not understand that. Very surprised.

My new instructor, the one who is concerned about my handwriting, was also surprised that I had not done a landing yet, and is aggressively pushing me in that direction. I've basically been flying the pattern, all the way up to final approach at about 300 ft AGL when he finishes the landing, with me closely following the controls. I believe on our next lesson he will have me do the landing, with him following closely on the controls. One thing we have where I live is a LOT of wind, especially very strong crosswinds and gusts, so many instructors take a bit longer to have their students introduced to the landing. Rather, they have the students follow them on the controls closely and gradually work them up to the landing.

In any event, I'm actually learning to write with my right hand, which has no issue whatsoever. It's not as difficult as I thought. Just write the alphabet out - upper and lower case - a few times a day, as well as numbers 1-10, and then start writing sentences and paragraphs. It's supposed to take about two months or so to do.

Perhaps I should take two or so months off of flight training until I am proficient with my right hand, so that I can use the archaic (back to the dinosaur days) handwriting to copy ATC instructions?

Also, I'm seeing my personal doctor today about the left hand issue. So, we shall see if I get a "diagnosis" finally, or whether he just thinks it is a minor issue. If I get a diagnosis then I will obviously have to disclose this at my next exam with the AME, which I would most certainly do.

I guess I have to state this one more time. This issue has no effect whatsoever on anything...anything...done in the cockpit, in terms of manipulating controls, switches, buttons, or anything else.

It only effects handwriting with my left hand. Not my right hand, and nothing else. It only effects the ability to fill out a book, using handwriting, with Hobbs time, tach time, etc. That's it!

I'm really, really surprised that aviation has not advanced to the point of being able to have a pilot enter this type of information using a keyboard, instead of using the archaic, (back to the Civil War days, back to the Revolutionary War days, back to the age of dinosaurs, back to the age of planet earth's formation) of having to hand write this info in. I think it's kind of ridiculous. I mean, airliners basically fly themselves these days, with airline pilots being more computer managers than stick and rudder people, (except for takeoff/landing/emergencies) but aviation still uses antiquated handwriting.

It seems pretty absurd to me, but oh well, that's the way it is.

I do appreciate all of your input, and the various points of view about this.