Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Whale Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: In the Purple Haze

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post
Does anyone know if there's a visa required for HKG? When invited for Cathay's second inteview with my wife, we were sent tickets and nothing was said about a visa. (I subsequently got on with another carrier and never used the tickets for the interview, so still don't know what the procedures are).

Now, for crossing the border into mainland China I would imagine we definitely need one, is that right?

Where would one get it in Denver? Does anyone know the cost?

I'm thinking of heading over there with my wife soon for a couple of weeks to check things out before comitting to the possible 2-5? year FDA. Probably spend several days in HKG and then a few in CAN, and then maybe that island that Whale talked about too.

Thanks for your help.

As Whale also posted, if anyone has any questions, specific or general, about HKG/CAN that you would like me to investigate, I would be happy to. Post anything on here, or PM me, and I'll get a list of questions to be answered for some us who might be headed over there.
Cloud,

If you are in the U.S. you can go to any Chinese Consulate and get a tourist visa for mainland china. NO VISA IS REQUIRED FOR HONG KONG OR MACAU ( Unless you plan on staying more than 90 days. You could go from Macau to Hong Kong or vice versa to reset the 90 day clock)!!! YOU CAN TAKE A FERRY FROM HKG AIRPORT DIRECTLY TO MACAU IF YOU WANT. If you will be staying in Hong Kong, take the subway as it is 1/3 the price of a taxi.

Chicago I have found is the easiest to get the tourist visa especially if you need a Chinese Crew Visa. I lost my passport about a year ago and had to replace both my Tourist Visa and Crew Visa for China. Houston wouldn't give me both. They said that you can only have one; this is even after I showed them the copy of both current visas in my lost passport. They said Chicago was wrong. So I just got the crew one so I could go to work. When I returned to the U.S. after my World Tour, I went to Chicago and told them what Houston told me and they showed me the documents that the Chinese Govt. and the U.S. Govt. agreed to that allowed both. So Chicago Consulate put the tourist visa in again.

Here is the link to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago.
http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org...hz/default.htm

If you are getting a tourist (L) visa, request the 1 year multiple entry for stays up to 60 days ( this is the maximum ). If you are applying for a crew (C) visa, you will need a letter from the employer in China that "sponsors" the crew visa.

Here are the rules for the tourist visa (L) http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org...hz/default.htm

Here is the link to download the fillable PDF form that you can print and take to the consulate: http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org...qz/t174763.htm

If you decide to get a visa in Hong Kong, it is more expensive and they will only give you a three (3) day tourist visa. I suggest that you get it in the U.S.

Chicago works the best for me. I arrive at 9 a.m. sharp and get it the same day in the afternoon. If you go later in the day, you will have to come back the following day. Note: This only applies if you are doing a "rush" order. I suggest the "rush" order.

The rules link above will explain the prices. You can do a Google search to find other Chinese Consulates here in the U. S. Stay away from Houston!

Sorry but no Consulate in Denver, however, here is the link to the Chinese Consulates in the U.S. Since you live in Denver, perhaps route your flight through San Francisco or L.A with a stop so you can get the visa and then continue on to Hong Kong. Here is the list of consulates: http://www.visarite.com/chnConsulate.htm Note: Visarite is a visa service and not part of the Chinese Consulate. If you don't want to stop in LA or San Fran or one of the other consulates, I suggest using the service.

Whale

P.S. I am leaving the U.S in mid December for china to see my fiancee in Zhuhai. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by Whale Pilot; 11-25-2007 at 04:11 AM.