Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Johnny Skyhawk
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: FO
Default New FO at Silver

I can answers some of the questions about Silver. I am a new FO based at MCO. I started in the April 2018 class and I got to the line at the end of June.

ATP/CTP: I came in with 1500 hours. Silver paid for my ATP/CTP course and FAA ATP knowledge test fee and for that I signed an agreement that I would stay at Silver for one year. The value of the agreement is $5000 to be paid back if I leave early. I think they reduce the amount I owe by 25% after each quarter with the company.

Emerging Aviators Program: I did not use this program. I recommend talking to one of our recruiters to get the details. There was an Army helicopter pilot in my class who used the program to build fixed wing multi time.

Training: All new hires go to the SAAB. Average class size is about 6 (mine had 5). Ground school is 4 weeks in FLL. Sim is in MIA and takes 3-4 weeks. OE is 30 hrs and takes about another 2-3 weeks to complete. Training cycle is straight through with a short break after the Sim before starting OE. The SF340 type ride is a PIC type ride from the left seat.

Bases: The bases are MCO, FLL and TPA. My class was awarded their first choice. From what I've heard, subsequent classes also got their first choice of base.

Bonus: I'm eligible for $12000. I received $3000 after OE. Then $3000 at end of first year. $6000 at end of second year.

Reserve: A 90 minute call out. 11 days off a month. I have been on Reserve since finishing OE in June. I have been flying about 30 hours a month. I anticipate being on Reserve 2-3 more months while we get through the slow season.

Current Pay: FO start at $34.77. Per diem $1.90. Monthly guarantee 75 hours.

CBA: The contract negotiations have been underway for over a year. The union and the company meet on a regular basis. I do not know how long the remainder of the process will take.

ATR: The sim is also in MIA. There is one aircraft with a Silver livery at the MCO Hanger. There are 4 others ready to go sitting at ATR in France. I've heard the Company anticipates receiving FAA certification by the end of this year.

Moving on from Silver: I know of pilots who've recently left for Spirit and Frontier. I've heard of a few that left for other regionals.

I think I've captured all the questions from previous posts. If I missed something or if you have more accurate information, please add to the thread. PM me with specific questions and I'll try to get you an answer.