View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Lsu01
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Outsider looking in

Hi guys and gals.

I’ve been a 91 pilot for the better part of 15 years with a couple years of 135 freight doggin before that. I’ve never had a 121 desire until recently. I’ve heard too many stories of forlough and low pay when I was getting into the market that I’ve pretty much discounted it until now.

I’ve been following these boards for about 6 months now trying to get a good understanding of the 121 lifestyle, in particular the southwest lifestyle. I have a good 91 job that allows me plenty of time off and pays the bills. As I get older and see more 91 departments shutdown the potential career stability of the airlines has become intriguing.

If I was fortunate enough to join Southwest I would be a commuter. From what I’ve read the general consensus is don’t do it. The few airline pilots I have spoken with whom commute say they plan to move to domicile some day. I am very grounded where I’m at and intend to stay here forever. It appears the majority of commuters have to fly to get to base. I live just under 4 hrs to a domicile so believe I would drive the commute. Does anybody here do something like that? Is the commuting stress everyone refers to more associated with trying to get to and from work via jumpseat/ standby.

Thx in advance for your opinion.