View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM
skruts
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
FSDOs are the red headed stepchild of the FAA when it comes to 135/ corporate operators. I couldn’t meet my POI (91 large cabin) for months at a time. They’re staffed with hard pressed individuals who frequently have little or no GA experience. I’m not sure which was worst, ex-airline or ex-mil POIs. I battled over LOAs where the FSDO had little idea of current equippage or capabilities. One told me not to worry about a RVSM letter being delayed for weeks because bizjets fly in the US and ATC can clear thru RVSM to F430. Excuse me, my plane has a trip to India next week, LOA, please.

GF
The POI at my old shop endorsed illegal rolling rest because "that's the way it's always been done here." No hard days off, rest not known in advance, and a 24/7 on-call status to the company making all rest not valid (as it involved an obligation to the company at all times). Granted, the shop was the dirtbag operator but doing so with the POI's blessing is still a major issue.

Seriously hope to see more stringent oversight of 135 operators in the future. Even though this flight may have been operated under Part 91 (still unsure on this), I have no reason to believe the company was not willing to send the same illegal crew on a 135 charter.