View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
4thefamily
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default Accidentally submitted previous post incomple

Pilot/financial planner here, I’m searching for the same and can at least tell you to rule out Jetblue. My family has been “bringing humanity back to air travel” for over ten years at the expense of our own humanity. We have always chosen to live in base and it’s still hard to not feel like a long haul truck driver. I just missed my 9yr old’s first soccer goal after 4yrs of soccer and I’m supposed to be the assistant coach! I can’t commit to anything. Church, sports, poker night... I always say “Count me in and hopefully I’ll be there half the time”. On paper, everything’s great. Well into six figures, sixteen days off, and flying an Airbus...
In reality, a computer program and a bunch of guys above me in seniority determine which days off, and what kinds of trips I’m flying. Once a year or so I get out and backs (no overnight stay) and two-day trips (only one overnight stay) and think maybe I’ve finaly made it but the next month reminds me that I will probably never make it here. This month and the next I’m choosing reserve since I’m only eligible for 3, 4, and 5 day trips. So, while 16 days off sounds like a yes to family, 14 days of traveling even with zero commute days is still a giant no! After over 15yrs at Mesa and Jetblue, I think I’ve learned that Delta, United, and Southwest may give you a chance considering their superior work rules, but the rest are an uphill battle unless you have found a niche that works from the start like home every night at Allegiant, Hawaiian 717 inter island turns, or something that works for you from the start as oposed to after gaining seniority some day in the distant future (typical carrot)
Also consider work rules very seriously and if the company works around them. Contracts are finite and ways around them are infinite. If your company wants to connect you to the matrix and suck you dry, they easily can. Do the pilots and management have a good relationship?
Also, what does AM/PM mean, at Allegiant and Southwest, AM doesn’t mean 0430 like it does at Jetblue and PM doesn’t mean until the sun comes up. I highly recommend finding a place that will let you have either/or consistently as oposed to both at any time as long as it’s legal according to FAR 117. It’s the difference between being a happy family man/woman with a consistent rest cycle and an irritable AH who looks like a crypt keeper and who’s family doesn’t enjoy being around anyway.

Financially speaking:
1. Allegiant pays half (giant ballpark out of my a$$) of what a “major” or “Legacy” pays, but it isn’t even close to being the same job.
Out and backs and home every night vs. long haul truck driver. It would be like driving an eighteen wheeler 4 days a week from down the street to a town two hours away and then back home and then comparing your career to a long haul trucker who is gone half the month. It shouldn’t even be compared. It’s also an Airbus which I would be happy to retire on.
2. You don’t “need” a minimum of 100k.
The average household income is far less and the average net worth of 99% of people on Earth is estimated to be less than 20k U.S. Dollars. After removing the less than 1% that have over 40% of the wealth...

My current consideration is Watching Elf and Liar Liar and then doing the right thing for the family. Delta, Allegiant, back to financial planning, lemonade stand...

Unless you find a niche, this is not a family friendly career. Your competition is single people, empty nesters, people who don’t put “home with the family” before $$$ for various reasons, and us poor few who are trying to be in-base at home with our spouse and young kids. We will probably always be the minority without much of a voice during contract negotiations.