View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Sluggo_63
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005

Everybody is giving crap, I get it. I’m going to assume he’s not a troll and was curious. Many other union/seniority based jobs (union plumbers, pipe fitters, electricians, etc.) have portable seniority.

To the OP, the airline industry doesn’t work like that. Your position on the pilot seniority list (separate than company seniority) is determined when you start Basic Indoc as a pilot.

But, to everyone else who is giving him grief... does he have such a bad idea? Not in the way he thinks, but as a new-hire I wouldn’t have been opposed to people who previously worked at the company having higher seniority in their new-hire class. The way we do it now is random anyhow. Last 4 of your SSN. If I had a guy or gal in my class with a 2XXX last four, but he threw boxes for 10 years here at Express, I wouldn’t have blinked an eye if they put him ahead of everyone else that had no previous time with the company. Now that I think of it, I like my idea. If I was king of BI, I’d determine seniority within a BI class as:
1) Previous full-time employees based on time with company
2) Previous part-time employees based on time with company
3) Everyone else based on last 4 of SSN.

That would reward people like Pros, corporate guys, box throwers who hitched their wagon to this company before they were pilots here.