View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Skyrider12
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Another Medical Question

Hey Everyone! Long time lurker and first time poster here. I'm looking for some advice and figured I should finally make an account and ask it here.
A little backstory: I'm 26 and hold a private cert. and am working on my instrument and commercial. It has taken me some time and I work construction and pay for everything myself. I currently hold a 1st class medical and am healthy etc.
However, my past is pretty bad.
I have had like 10 tickets since I was 15 ranging from just stupid (skateboarding on a sidewalk) to irresponsible (speeding/not wearing a seatbelt.)
In 2011 my license was suspended for too many points. In 2013 I was driving a motorcycle and pot on me and got charged with that.

Luckily, I got a lawyer and beat the rap. No convictions etc.
I joined AOPA and got a consultation with one of their lawyers, who said I don't need to list anything, we all make mistakes etc. That was amazing to hear, but I'm still skeptical regarding the wording of 18v on the medical app.
Before you all crucify me, I totally accept what i did and have learned and grown as a person. I love flying and am a very safe pilot and person now. I know it's hard to get on with a major and that probably won't happen to me but, I do want to fly professionally in some facet of the aviation industry.

So basically, I did not check yes on 18v. My attorney told me not to. In my situation the marijuana charges etc do not affect me at all. It's the suspended drivers license ironically.
He said that didn't matter as it was points, not alcohol or drugs that got my license suspended. However the wording seems pretty clear in that it asks for ALL convictions.

So, what do you guys think? If i check yes and write them an explanation of what happened will they be OK with that and issue me a medical that day? Should I listen to my attorney? If they find out will the pull my certs? If they look into my past could they pull my certs? I may be overly worried, but I did pay for all this myself and love flying more than anything. I want to do the right thing here, and not have to live worried about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post. Thanks!!!!