Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Poser765 View Post
It’s been said a couple of times, but I’m going to say it again for emphasis

FLOWS, MEMORY ITEMS, LIMITATIONS.

Know these 100% when you walk into an oral. If you can know them before you even show up to class all the better. Every type oral I’ve done has started out with limitations and memory items. Nail those and it really sets the tone for the rest of the oral. My expectation is that when doing systems in the oral I can say I don’t know a few times and still be doing good... that’s not the case with limitations.
Mems & Lims, know cold before you show up.

Flows too, but be aware these will make a lot more sense once the systems are explained and/or you see it done live in an MFTD. Don't beat your head against the wall trying to understand and momorize flows if what they gave you doesn't make sense. Use that energy on Mems & Lims. If you have access to videos showing the flows, that will help a lot.

Originally Posted by Poser765 View Post
The people I’ve seen wash out are just like people describe...those with the improper attitude. One thing no one has really mentioned is be social. Hang out with your sim partner and others in your class. You will get a lot out of a group setting, even during not official group study sessions. Example. We hung out at the pool a lot drinking beer and just chilling... definitely not a study session. Still though the conversation would steer back towards training and the next thing you know we are talking systems.
I tend to study better alone. I remember things a lot better if I understand them, so sometimes I need to stop and do research rather than press "I believe" and move on. Blessing and a curse, but at the end of the day I know it pretty cold, even if getting there was more involved. If the group study is a distraction for you, do what you need to do.

That said, I always participate in some group study, that way you don't miss any tribal knowledge items which get tossed around. You will need to practice flows and profiles with your sim buddy, no way around that.

I also participate in some social activities, just for decompression and to stay in the loop. But if you're under the gun, maybe limit it to Friday night and don't set yourself up to lose Saturday to a hangover. Just because some people do it, doesn't mean you can, or should. Just because someone else thinks he can get away with it doesn't mean he will (unless he already has the type rating... that guy you want as your sim buddy but not your drinking buddy).