View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 05:41 AM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Just looking at salaries is a poor way to pursue a job. The number of U.S. who are competitive in the U.S. and choose to fly in China instead is a very small number. Very small. Probably one in thousands, especially for guys starting out.

If you can get your PPL now I’d recommend knocking it out. Knock off as many core courses as you can. I’ve recommending going the flying route first and getting your degree while at a regional airline. With some general courses knocked out, and an ATP, you can get an online from an aviation college fairly easily (60-80 credits?) while flying for a regional.

The path to the majors in the U.S. takes 8-10 years. By going to the regionals first you might knock off two years. The additional two years at the end of your career are worth over $450,000 per year and perhaps over $600,000. It takes that long from leaving the starting gate to being really competitive. The pilot supply shortage might reduce that time.

I wonder, and worry, about people that think they’ve discovered a secret way to rapidly become rich, or get into a big airliner. And if you get a flight academy slot at one of their flight schools you’re looking at years with that company or having to repay them. Why not get the experience on your own and have the freedom of choosing where, and for whom, you work vs. being stuck with one company?