Thread: CFI Reinstated?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM
CAirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
Anyone had their CFI reinstated after being expired for years?

A fellow was telling me that it wasn’t a big deal.

I know it used to be a huge hassle (like starting all over with those ratings.) I think the guy is mistaken.
If it has expired you are F’d. It requires you doing the entire CFI checkride again. The 3-5 hour oral, then the flying portion. All of it.

There is a reason there are so many companies, out there, that offer FIRCs lol. Even if you never planned to teach again in your life, once you have it, always keep it current every 2 years with a Flight Instructor Refresher Course.

Your only saving grace may be this. I’ve been told sometimes if you are an active 121 Captain, you can forgo FIRCs altogether and (assuming your cool with someone at the local FSDO) you can get it renewed just by visiting them. After all, 121 CA is a leadership and teaching/developing role with your FO and crew etc.

It may be a “gray area” with the Feds, but I have a buddy in town who visits the FSDO every 2 years and that’s how he renews his. I must point out, he never let his expire.

I think even as a 121 CA, if it’s expired your probably screwed. Good luck and let us know what happens!