View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 PM
awax
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by ThePenguin328 View Post
Agree to disagree. The average line Captain is a position of seniority not necessarily skill or of master airmanship. It's certainly not a position of evaluation like that of a TK instructor or LCA.

Protect at all cost is setting the bar a little high. I'd say give everyone some respect and a chance to succeed. Each person on our seniority list has worked their way through the system (ex-military or civilian) to earn a place at a major airline. Not everyone gets this far to be in the cockpit of mainline jet. There are enough places to reach out for help that average line Captains should not be expected to be the new hire police.
I agree that not everyone can be God’s gift to aviation, I’m just a line puke so what do I know.

Move the goalposts in this thread all ya want. If a new hire makes a Captain work WAY more than they should, maybe in fact, they shouldn’t be here. I agree that it’s not a line captain’s role to make that decision. A probationary report is a way to either make that Captain look like a tool, or more appropriately paint a picture for future suitability.

Last edited by awax; 10-21-2018 at 09:28 PM.