View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 07:00 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Skyrider12 View Post
Thank you guys so much for the replies. For some reason, I could not see the post for a couple days and thought a moderator blocked my account or something. That was weird....i just logged in and saw the thread was active.
Some new user's first few posts have to be approved by a moderator before they are visible, and nobody had noticed your posts right away. Looks like the system is now letting you post without pre-approval.

With all that being said about my past etc. you guys really think I'll be OK if I am a 100% perfect citizen from hear on out? I am working on other facets of my life (good credit/volunteer work etc) to try and balance things out a bit.
The airlines will probably never ask or know about the marijuana thing (be honest if they do, that kind of thing is not unusual for young people).

The ten tickets could be a problem, but I assume you were very young when that happened? Again that sort of pattern is common, people who have zero speeding tickets as kids typically become accountants or history teachers, not pilots. But ten is a lot, so you'll need to maintain an ABSOLUTELY clean driving (and of course criminal) record from here on out. Ten years from now that will be mostly ancient history, but ONLY if there are ZERO additional data points linking your past to the present.... they will want to see that you've turned over a new leaf, and they won't want to see anything that might make them doubt that assessment. Seriously you need to drive the speed limit in town, no more than five-over on the freeway until you get to your career-destination airline job. After that, you can buy a duacti or a maserati if you want.

Keep in mind one or two majors might disqualify you based on the tickets, but I think most would consider you after time has passed.

So I'll fess up. I have no marijuana conviction, just the suspended drivers license. I'll check yes on 18v.on my next medical, which I will try and get next week.

Also, when I go and get my medical, do you guys think I'll be OK if I check yes, and write a brief explanation /apology of why I didn't check yes before? Could I still get a medical that day??
Maybe. I personally would contact an aviation lawyer with experience in this kind of thing first, he might tell you to exactly what you're thinking of. I suspect the FAA would let it slide, but there are potential criminal sanctions for omissions on the medical application, they are pretty hot on that topic right now. You can read about some pilots on the extreme end of that spectrum who are going to prison for lying on their medical app:

FAA Looking at VA Records (Indictments!)