Thread: Sun Country
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 05:44 PM
goinaround
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by mrgoodguy View Post
Let me reiterate that I didn't "wash out" of this training. I never had anything close to "struggle" or training failure in my 10+ years flying jets.

I think that the APDs (Examiners) still go into AQP training as though it was "old-style" checkride. This is where the discontinuities with "true" AQP come from I believe. Not enough time has passed for Sun Country's APDs to "internalize" AQP philosophy.

Examples:

For every checkride (PV, MV, LOE) the instructors would say that there are "no new maneuvers" that haven't been seen before in training that are going to be introduced on the checkride. False. Every checkride introduced a never-before-seen maneuver. They like "flap failure / assymetry" on go around to be introduced on the checkride. Also, Second-segment-climb engine failure was also introduced on my checkride.

Whenever you make a mistake (nothing too bad) easily caught by the other guy, the APD would tap the other guy on the shoulder and shush him. At that point you are single pilot, no CRM. I had "heading select" mode that didn't take (I didn't press the button hard enough) that was easily caught by the other guy "tapped out" by the APD and that was one of my "maneuver failures"

One of the LOE scenarios had the ILS out NOTAM for the wrong runway, and weather forecast for the whole period was MAX 300 3/4 with no rain that pretty much lead to ILS approach ONLY for the runway that was in use. They give you an ATIS card as though from the printer. Oh and the FO reading light on the sim was out. SURPRISE! Weather was 800/2. Also, the sim brakes at this time, for the second time on the checkride!
Well ok, good. However I didn't notice that on the bottom on the card they were using RNAV approach and there was rain w/braking action reports. Unforecast, Un-NOTAMd. If I didn't read the paperwork I would be good, but since like a good pilot I read the paperwork, I expected no rain and ILS to mins.
Oh, and of course the ILS was identified by the aircraft and the needles matched.
Since the SIM broke, the ride stopped at that point.

Heard there are maneuver fails for not setting ILS inbound courses for RNAV approach, even though it's not a requirement. "must follow procedure" was the answer. Also the other guy was "tapped out" of that one.

Other things like that. Nothing major in it of itself but in combination reminds me more of a "full-of-tricks" PC rather than more realistic scenario-based AQP training.
Good lord. This was painful to read. You better not come over to my shop.....you wouldn't last a day.