View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 PM
MrAV8OR
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default QOL and Shorter Trip possibilities?

First post - long time reader. I have the hours to apply to a regional now and need to decide where I am applying. I have savings and a business I run around the greater Washington DC region and am equidistant to IAD, BWI, and DCA.

I realize pay will suck for some time as will schedule. I have two soon to be three young kids at home, good extended family support, a nanny, and a spouse with a good income as well.

With the looming pilot shortage I will kick myself for not getting my ATP now and getting twin turbine time and eventually turbine PIC time.

Again, fully understand I’ll be gone a lot at first and hope I can trade pay for better QOL after a year or two and then again should I move up to a major, cargo, or corporate/contact gig. I realize I’ll miss bdays, weekends, etc for some time.

CommutAir is attractive for the following reasons:
-Base locations. I can get IAD pretty soon if not immediately.
-Classroom training is at IAD so I can be home at night for INDOC (sims are not local)
-Quick upgrades, growing fleet, lots of flying

Bad:
-Away too much during the month.
-I hear odd thing about junior manning, Captain qualified FO’s,
-Only reserve is airport reserve. If in base 2 hour or even 12 hour reserve would be nice.

Question at CommuteAir:
1. How many 1 and 2 night trips are offered out of the Dulles base?
2. Is it possible to teach some of the classes and also fly?
3. It is possible to hold 2 1 night trips in a row so you fly four days but are only gone 2 days?
4. What is the minimum amount of hours to fly and keep your contact?

I think my family could deal with me being away 8 nights a month. 12-16 probably not.

Thanks.