View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 05:49 PM
TurbineSuburban
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Web265 View Post
It really depends on a lot of variables. When I went in to indoc (May) we did the whole thing without the break. We bid for our first bases and were told we were going into either PIT, IND or LGA I think. So we bid those in the order we wanted them then added the rest in order.

Later, while still in class, a system bid came up for November and we bid with the entire FO group, seniority was deciding factor for base.

You can get a sense once you see the vacancies and you know your seniority but you have no way of knowing who above you is bidding what. I was senior in my class but didn't get my base as a vacancy award, I got it as a backfill from someone who left the base I wanted on that vacancy.

You also can put all the bases in order of desirability so you don't have an all or nothing bid, meaning, your bid can always be for IAH, then ORD as #2, IND as #3 etc.

I realize this creates anxiety at some level but, you have to understand you don't have a lot of control over your first base, we had a choice of three, you may get what you want or close to it on your first or second vacancy bid. You may have a better chance because you will have the benefit of extra time between your hire date and first base. There's too many variables to be sure.

The instructors will give you a lot of intel on commutability etc

Looks like the jr FO in IAH this month is a 02/06/18 hire

Guess I took too long to answer LOL...
Have a question about picking up while on reserve. Let’s say a pilot is on reserve in MCI, and isn’t used. On their days off, can they pick up trips out of say IAH that are in open time? Or is trip pickup only available within the assigned domicile?

Someone would have no life, but seems like you could make decent money not being used on reserve days, as indicated on other threads, and picking up trips from other pilots.