View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Diver Driver
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by usafltg View Post
Well...

That was relatively unhelpful. I asked specifically about part-time gigs. I know they exist. I’d like to get paid / augment and maybe someday I’ll transition fully, but right now that’s not really of interest to me. I don’t view it as a hobby, if I I fly somewhere, I fly for a purpose today not as a hobby. I would like to use my skills for something useful. Yes angel flights is fine... but realistically that requires a decent airplane like a 421C.

I would rather find something part time for a while and I would think a cargo route would be the way to go and fit a scheduled.
As unhelpful as those responses may have seemed, they’re rooted in experience. As you continue to accumulate experience, I think you’ll find, as I have seen, that the common denominator among aircraft operators is the basic premise that an aircraft sitting doesn’t make money. Most operators will try to operate their aircraft as much as possible to maximize cash flow for each airframe. This translates to very little part time work, particularly on the cargo side. If you’re looking for a part time position, I think you would be better to focus on corporate aviation - with a private individual/owner. These generally offer the most schedule flexibility and least amount of time away from home. The kicker is getting in the door as these are often filled by word of mouth, but keep your eyes open and network as much as possible. Get involved with angel flight and try to go to fly-ins and immerse yourself as much as you can in the community. This is a great way to find positions like this that aren’t advertised.

I know this isn’t the greatest answer, but it can be difficult to find the right flying position to balance with working a full time job that seems to be going well for you. Good luck and I hope you are able to find what you’re looking for.