Thread: Part Time Gigs?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 07:09 PM
Reactivity
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Left, right & center

Originally Posted by usafltg View Post
and trying to understand if there are any part-time gigs out there for Cargo / Corporate. I've never ever wanted to fly for the big boys. But a weekend route or something would be right up my alley. I don't have my commercial yet, because quite honestly, I've never really needed it until now. Instrument SEL and MEL. 780TT, 150 Actual IMC, First Class Medical, lot of cross country logged with a lot of glass cockpit Also ex-military though not an ex-military flyer.
What you're hoping for is a contract pilot position. But that requires having a particular type rating (if a type rating is required) and time in type. No corporate operator is going to spend the money to hire and train a "weekend guy".

At this point, your best bet is to get your CFI (CFII would be even better) and find weekend work as an instructor. That should be easy enough. One local training operation has a list of students waiting to start training because they don't have enough instructors. Once you have 1200 total time, you might be able to find part-time charter work. There may be a small freight forwarder out there that would be looking for part-time-ish people, maybe.