View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Stimpy the Kat View Post
This just boggles my Mind: " I would say 80+ percent of the crews initial reaction is idle thrust and increase vertical rate. "

This is what a 727 crew did about 30+ years ago and was a much discussed item in many a recurrent class.

The mind boggling part is this...In what alternate universe does an aircraft ( ANY aircraft ) climb with thrust at Idle AND continue to accelerate no less ???

Hard to fathom the total lack of airmanship, situational awareness, and common sense.

Now...Put me in a Sim and watch me do the exact same thing as the 80% mentioned above.

DOH!

People are afraid to deviate from how they normally fly the plane, which is follow the FD and magenta line and stay out of the barber-pole.

My memory item #1 for unreliable AS or attitude is to fear for my life.

Once that's accomplished it then becomes easy to not worry about what ATC, FOQA, company or anybody else is going to think about what I'm doing. You need to fear death more than the barber-pole.

Also the attitude system on a modern jet generally KNOWS if it's jacked up and will give all kinds of warnings and flags. Absent that, start by trusting the AHRS. Pitot/Static might not even know that it's messed up.