View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 AM
MelT
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: 757

Private message sent.

To summarize some of the good things about FedEx:

First off its a very stable, highly profitable and overall very well run company that is well positioned and capitalized to be a force in the transportation industry for a very long time.

The current mix of retirement benefits are literally what kept me at FedEx when I had other options. The A and B fund balance is probably the best in the industry. Most people are incredulous when they hear about our retirement plans, and the non pilot folks here who had their (A plan type) fixed benefit plan frozen in 2008 are still miffed about it.

Compensation is pretty good but starting to lag other majors. Still competitive and although you will be gone from home a similar amount of time as pilots at pax carriers (with possible exceptions if you manage to live in a city you can hold) you will probably spend less time in the sky actually flying and more time in hubs or hotels between two or three legs a day. International flying excepted as well.

Scheduling flexibility is awesome when manning is sufficient. Ability to trade down or up is probably similar to other carriers but it is very good here.

Vacation is excellent.

Commuting policy and the ability to fly from your home city to the start of your trip is awesome. Reserving jumpseats to get to and from work makes life a lot easier.

Variety of aircraft types and domiciles, and the resulting different types of trips and flying means there is something for everybody. Also, we are adding new 767 and 777 aircraft and the fleet will probably continue to get younger for the next decade or two as the older MD, 75 and Airbii are retired.

Those are a few of the good things off the top of my head.