Thread: Oops 3
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 07:32 AM
dawgdriver
Swimmin' in da pool

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by LNL76 View Post
I don't know how she or anyone else who falsely accuses another of such a heinous crime can live with themselves. I hope she's treated like the pariah she is for the rest of her life and gets help for her obvious problems.
Sadly, the real victims of actions such as these are women who have legitimate claims, and, to a lessor extent, society as a whole. Recent high profile cases involving entertainment/media moguls, members of the Senate, House, Executive, and finally, the Legislative Branch, combined with events involving a local, personal and/or professional nature have ensured uber bland, safe, distant and sterile behavior from men who have been told to "Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing for a change." https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...lieve_her.html

In drop-jaw fashion, our elected political leaders are informing us that Due Process, arguably the cornerstone of American jurisprudence, only applies in civil/criminal cases. A 35 year old, unverifiable, completely unsubstantiated, uncorroborated vague accusation, mysteriously leaked after hearings were closed, with no date, location, or witnesses, stalled and actually came within 2 votes of ending a Supreme Court nomination (2 other sexual assault survivors that came out of the wood work are now under criminal investigation for false testimony). The damage to the Justice's reputation, family and personal life, and the impact to us all, are merely acceptable collateral damage in today's weaponized #metoo movement. You can't make this sh!t up.

Unfortunately, these aren't the only landmines we face; we've witnessed countless mis-steps involving cultural, racial and other 'sensitivities' that have also ended people's careers at ALL levels. A slip of the tongue, an inadvertent misinterpretation, even the wrong Halloween costume, can land anyone in the unemployment line.

Only time will tell how these events will affect the way we interact as a whole in the long term. I can only speak for myself, friends and associates, but suffice to say behavior and conversation in the workplace have been severely constrained and, in my case, permanently altered. I used to enjoy the banter at work; now I keep my thoughts and comments private. What was once considered paranoid behavior is now considered prudent.

Last edited by dawgdriver; 11-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.