View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Name User
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Once again, we have someone on here who is confusing the technological ability to automate existing aircraft (which we obviously have) with the practical ability to make it happen in the current industry/regulatory/ATC environment.
Reducing pilots from two to one really means fully automated aircraft to account for the possibility the one pilot becomes incapacitated. So that basically means aircraft operated from the ground (which you just said you don't see).

How do you automate out potential human errors in procedures or mis-heard clearances that are currently caught by the other pilot. Until we go to ATC that doesn't rely on spoken VHF comm, it's a huge reduction in safety to expect one pilot to operate in our busiest airports.

Those are just a couple of major roadblocks in a very long list. Meanwhile, Boeing and Airbus are pumping out brand new 777F, 787s, 737s, A530s, etc. with expected lifespans of decades that still need two pilots. Those companies aren't going to spend significant dollars to do much of anything until airlines and cargo companies are ready to buy. That's certainly not going to happen until there are major changes to the industry infrastructure. And all that just to take one pilot out of the aircraft and replace him with one on the ground? Frankly, we don't get paid that much. I seriously doubt anyone posting here will see a practical, production or modified single pilot 121 aircraft in revenue service before they are required to retire (at 65).
With automation flying the airplane it will free the pilot up to strictly monitor everything.

CPDL is already operating domestically, being trialed overnight in Indy center IIRC. This will already significantly reduce hear/readback errors. It's not a stretch of our imagination to simply route that clearance directly into the automation.

Pilots in the future will simply tap/click on a flightplan and the aircraft will execute it. Including requests for step climbs and shortcuts. All of this can and will be automated, and it will do it the same way every single time. I still see single pilot ops, I do not see drone airliners. Yet. But I do see drone fleets of FedEx Caravans.