View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM
andycfi
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Default End of Flying Career <> End of Life

Hi Everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker in this part of the forum. I gave up flying during the CFI stage. I had the hours to move on, but I could see the writing on the wall in terms of what the career demanded vs. what I was willing to give personally. I didn't want to be on the road all the time, away from family, potentially have to move or commute - it just didn't work for me. As a result, I got to be with my mom and dad full time when they became ill and eventually passed. I met a great girl, married her, and come home every night. I see the guys all the time.

I see a lot of back and forth banter on here regarding if this is a good career or not. It certainly is, it just has to fit the person. It took me nearly a decade to get over the fact that I just didn't want what went with the career. Not aviation's fault, just the reality of me vs. it. I guess I'm writing this to help others since I see some of the same sentiment on some others' posts. If you're not going to be happy - be true to yourself! It WILL work out.

So, how did it go? Hard at first - very hard to see the forest through the trees. I was angry, bitter, and just upset things didn't work out the way I thought they would (even though it was my choice). But with some time, things really did get better. My desk job turned into a great career with wonderful people and I really don't mind going every day. It affords me a lot. I got into boating and love it - we bought a twin cabin cruiser, and also have a storage condo for the winter that the boat lives in. We are currently building a small efficiency above it. Honestly? Life is great.

I'm so happy now I even went back to CFIing. I found my place in aviation after figuring myself out. I belong in the right seat teaching. I'm having more fun than ever.

If you want to fly, then fly! But if the career isn't for you, I'm writing to say it was hard, but it does get better. Do what is right for you either way, stay positive, and know that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4175.jpg (59.3 KB, 1347 views)