Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Bluedriver
The REAL Bluedriver

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
I could see us taking some A320NEO+s if airbus revisits the idea. Depending on the 797/MoM decisions by Boeing and Airbus, I expect an XLR 321 variant with a new wingbox, possibly a new wing. Airbus has said they expect to rewing the 320 series in 10 years or so (according to something I read), and if the 320NEO had 3 extra rows of space it’d be a better competitor to the Max 8 (why the 320neo+ concept came to be) and I see us buying those as 320 replacements in 10–15 years depending on the 220-5/700 development. At some point 6 abreast becomes more efficient than 5 abreast, and I think a theoretical a220-500 may be the last viable stretch. The -300 is already just about as long as a 737-8, and a -500 would conceivably be as long as a 737-9, or just shy of it. Apparently tailstrikes, deck angles, and approach speeds would be an issue as the plane approaches that length, which is why I predict AB stops the stretch at the -500 (~150 seats in 32” pitch config) with a rewinged/improved 320 series for the ~160+ seat market. A new 6 abreast small narrow body with A220 systems architecture would be cool too, but with the 320/321NEO backlog I don’t see any engineering bucks going to that for a while.
All possible! Generally airlines have figured out that the small difference in acquisition cost and small difference in operating CASM between the 320/321, it makes much more sense to buy 321s and run some flights at 80% and have the extra seats available for peak days and peak seasons. That is especially true for airlines that have a heavy concentration in markets that are heavily gate, slot, ATC, and pilot restricted.... That's us.

The A220 sits up pretty tall, so I don't think it would have a problem being stretched, in fact I think they engineered it with 2 stretches in mind. But I do not know that for sure.

A new wing on the A320 series would be huge, but I think it would disproportionately improve the A321. Further cementing airlines preference for A321s.