Old 11-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Phyr0
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Desk
Question Mil O3 considering new career. Seeking advice

Greetings all. I am an active duty military officer that will be separating from the service in 3 years. I've always desired a career in aviation but the military sent me down a different route and it's just not what I want to do. While I finish up my commitment, I'd like to look for ways I can make my transition after separation as smooth as possible.

As an officer, I already have a BS, so I am not interested in going to school for another degree to have the GI Bill pick up the bundled tuition/flight costs. I am interested, however, in using the GI Bill however I can to pay for training. I'm aware that the Bill will not cover private unless it is bundled, so that'll likely be an out of pocket expense. But what about IR/commercial/multi/ATP at a part 141? Does the bill just cover ~13K annual and I need to pay the rest? I already have 14 hrs, pre-solo, and am considering getting my private done at a part 61.

I'm wondering if it's possible/worth it to pay my way through weekend flying to CFI status, and use that as a time builder/income earner to grind out my 1500. Alternatively, would it be wise to consider ATP school?

Some particulars about me: I am 29, married with no kids, 2 dogs. I have a house in Navarre, FL and my wife is going to school for a masters in Biology, est graduation Summer 2021. We're not opposed to separating for a while for the purpose of career building. That is to say, my parents live in Jacksonville and if I need to live there for 18 months to save money while I go through ATP school, that's on the table. Also, we have no idea where she may find work when she graduates. Sure, there are 38 ATP schools around the US, but there's still a chance we may be apart.

I am also considering getting a reserve job as an O-4 in the USAF. I haven't worked out the particulars yet, but I'm considering the IMA program where you can come on for a month out of the year and get all the reserve obligations for that year out of the way, that way I wouldn't have the one weekend a month obligation.

All that said, I'm really just looking for advice from those that have been there and can help guide my decisions. What can I expect from GI Bill at a part 141/ATP. Considering timelines, would it be better to try to get to CFI (weekend only/couple flights a month) by Jun 2021 and then build hours as a banner guy/CFI, or would it be better to save as much money as possible/pay off debt before going all-in at an ATP school w/ GI Bill and financing?

Cheers.