View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
citationdrvrmob
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If you suspect that your current employer might be planning on firing you at the meeting, you should go in TODAY and hand in a written resignation. You do not want a termination on your record if you can avoid it.

Don't bust an attitude, be very respectful, but you want to beat the employer to the punch. If he fires you or asks you to resign FIRST, that would be considered resignation in lieu of termination...any future employer would count that as being fired.
In my experience, companies only know what you tell them. Due to privacy laws and liability, background checks can really do no more than verify dates of employment. I've called previous companies that I have worked for and spoken to HR people I did not know. I made up a name and company and told them I was verifying employment on my real name. When I tried to ask anything more than dates of employment, each one stated that that was all they could tell me. They could not even say if I was able to be re-hired. I guess the laws for each state and policy for each company vary. Not that I have any negative employment history, but I have worked for bosses that were more than shady and mad I left for better employment.

Unless it is on an PRIA record that you were terminated for failing training or failing a drug test, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if it was a part 91 operation.