View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 08:08 AM
B727DRVR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Exclamation I believe that it's more like 20 on /10 off..

I concur with Otterbox...... Your pay, benefits, and QOL will be better at Gama/Wheels Up vs. Southern Air, UNLESS you live in or near CVG.

Unfortunately, the pilots at Southern ratified a contract, albeit under duress, that leaves them among the hardest working, yet lowest paid B737 pilots anywhere. Note, I'm not busting on the pilot group, only the substandard contract. Furthermore, their schedule is not exactly commuter friendly and CVG is no longer the same easy-too-get-to Delta hub that it was 20 years ago. I hear that jumpseating into and out of there can be dicey, and I believe that those 18 days on duty DO NOT include travel to and from the hub, so it could be more like 20 days on and 10 days off.. or worse.

Wheels Up, on the other hand with its 8 on 6 off schedule, travels you to and from work with positive space tickets on your duty day. So you are not worried about jeopardy commutes to and from work, and you are building frequent flyer miles on them. Also amazing is the health insurance plan that Gama/Wheels Up offers its pilots that covers the family. And several Gama/Wheels Up pilots have left to go to Legacies and LCC's (just what I'm assuming pilots at Southern Air are trying to do...) without prior part 121 time. Also, I know dozens of great people that spent their last $7000 to get that B737 type rating to absolutely no avail anywhere with regards to payoff with that coveted SWA job. DISCLAIMER: I don't work at Gama, but have many friends who do. It's crazy, but who would ever think that there could ever be a question on whom has better pay, benefits, and quality of life?: The Part 121 B737 pilot or the Part 135 King Air/CE-560XL/CE-750 pilot......? It's an upside down world that the King Air pilot has a better QOL.

If you live in or near CVG, and want that B737 time, then Southern Air would be a no brainer. If not, and you have a family that you want a great QOL and great insurance coverage, then Gama/Wheels Up is for you.

Good luck with your decision.