Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 PM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

Wow it's like you're me a year ago. I'm 39 have my PPL finishing instrument. I should be done with my CFII 1Q next year. I'm funding flight school and living expenses with savings.

The are a few choices:

Lift academy
Jet Blue's Program
American Airlines Cadet Academy
Liberty University
Other University Programs
Forces to Flyers

The airline academies offer loans so between savings Montgomery GI and loans you should be fine.

University programs if you qualify for financial aid use that with loans and Montgomery GI.

Forces to Flyers it might be too late to apply but if you can squeak in it's a program that pays for flight school for veterans.

You should factor $85k to $110k for flight training. Everyone on here will say it's cheaper, it's not. None of the figures you get from the flight schools include check rides exam costs equipment software study guides etc. You can get your PPL and ratings to CFII in about 10 months if you hustle.

If I had to start from zero again honestly I would look into buying my own plane that is IFR rated. Find a Part 61 school around you with an instructor and DPE who are not jerks. Find a quality instructor, most of these guys are just building time before they go to the airlines and could care less about their students. The best instructors have retired from the airlines or as a corporate pilot and instruct for fun.