View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 PM
Xjsar
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Default Your flight training journey

Greetings everyone.

Wanted to pick some brains and get some thoughts on a couple things. Background, have always had a passion for aviation since I was a little kid and my dad got his PPL. Unfortunately he took 3 flights with it and called it done. Something about needing money to fly or something...then I got a scholarship through a mentor of mine for 1/2 of my PPL, all I'd have to pay is fuel. Then he had some family issues and I couldn't pursue it...again something about money....

Anywho, 2 decades later I am considering on getting my PPL and pursue the rest to eventually become a bonafide commercial pilot. However, I have plenty of reserves about the entire process. Namely, I'll get through it all, get my commercial rating, my 1500hrs, and I'm about as useful as a burger flipper at McDonalds and just wasted an ungodly amount of money.

So, I ask for you to share your experiences. What was your experience like? Once you got your cfi and started to build your hours instructing. When you hit the regional level. When you hit the majors. And if you dont mind sharing an approximation of earnings during that time period.

My biggest problem is just fear, that ill get through the certifications, have all these hours and I'll be making 24k/yr at the regional level and have to trudge through that for 10yrs just to be even remotely considered for a major airline slot. I'm not too concerned about money, but I also cant support a family on that either. I just want to be comfortable.

Also what are your opinions on the current and future market for pilots? I know it's been going for a couple years and everyone in the media is crying all the pilots will be gone soon. How true is that?

I appreciate your guys time!