View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Bluedriver
The REAL Bluedriver

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt

Originally Posted by texpilot View Post
Well.... not really a correct quote... a semicolon is used to make a more distinct separation between the two statements.

"This place makes a ton of money, we're getting paid; live within your means and try to work as little as possible..."

This statement was not meant to imply we make less, more, or the same as Delta, etc.... I was stating a principle that will lead toward happiness wherever you work, live within you means.

And as far as your "total career value" perceived as much lower, that is obviously different for each individual. I drive to work and barely break 300 hours a year, didn't break 200 years ago. I'll probably pull down $160k this year, to be gone a night or two a month, that is some career value that I personally couldn't find somewhere else. If I was unhappy with my "total career value," you gotta believe I wouldn't stick around when everyone is hiring.

I hear your angst, I see your thousands of posts, I hear you that this place could/needs to be better. Hell, I even voted no on the contract. But don't try to use your one size fits all "total career value" on everyone.

Tex
Total career value when comparing peer compensation, benefits, work rules and seniority progression shouldn't be dependant on where you live. Sure, as part of YOUR PERSONAL calculus, fine. But when making statements about how we compare in general, I don't except your special circumstances.

Great, your an in-base guy so making less apples-to-apples works for you, because you can trade QOL for actual pay and career progression.

I get why you think it's great, and that's fine for you. You may not like my critical posts of the current direction of our careers, but I personally feel that if we have 3,700 pilots all just delighted to be making less and giving this place 110% of our good-will, the company will literally see no reason "whatsoever" to give us a more competitive contract and in a timely fashion 3 years from now.

Delta will be starting full blown negotiations soon. I would love for you to go on their forum and tell them not be disgruntled if they don't make pay in-line with the top employers in our market, and that they should be satisfied that the paychecks keep coming and to live within their means. You may think I'm a Richard, but I think it would be eye-opening to see what a group of pilots with self-esteem have to say about that!

We're good dude, I just think we see things differently.