View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 05:46 AM
bklynbacon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Xjsar View Post
I do appreciate everyones feed back. Growing up, specifically between 2006-2013, i was around quite a few pilots and and even got my first official job at a small wildland and charter company in my neck of the woods. I heard from quite a few younger pilots, that the entry wages and QOL were horrible in the regional level as well as the ups and downs of the industry back then so i am familiar with how fluctuations. This is what contributes to my fear and hence no progression. Although it does seem to be changing for the better from what my research shows, which is a positive.

My biggest issue is just getting my foot into the door. Once im in, ill do whatever is needed and go wherever needed so thats not the issue.

What kind of timeline is everyone seeing for greenhands from 0-regional? obviously there are an enormous amount of variables, but for the average guy who works full time, has a family, and makes a lower middle class income what kind of timeline? Would it be best to find a loan to just push through the majority of it quickly or slowly work my way through it and pay as i go? Once i have my PPL the Gi bill will cover quite a bit of the other expenses for other certifications
It's gonna be hard to answer that, because it's largely dependent on YOU and your aptitude for this kinda thing. I'll use myself as an example. I work full time, have two kids and a wife. I have a B.A. in International Relations. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever. It takes me longer to understand certain concepts, especially at age 36.

Adult learning methods are different from back in the days cramming in college..that ish don't work no more. At least for me. So, I had to come to that realization that i'm not gonna be in and out of training..it's gonna take me a little longer than the young thundercat who's a STEM major. I'm ok with it..just had to adjust my learning style for this industry/job at hand..