Thread: New career
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 AM
jnav

Default New Career

I'm at the same junction you are bud but on a different scope. I'm a Navigator/Avionics tech in the Coast Guard with my A&P cert. I also have my commercial pilots license: SE/ME/IFR w/ high perf and complex endorse. I used my GI bill left over from my tour in the Airforce to get these ratings. I too have 14 yrs in w/ 6 to retire. These guys have been a great help here from rickair777 to skyhigh in the best options to get to your goal. Find a good 141 school and get your certs before you get out if you can. While doing so really figure out what you want to do thats gonna make you happy without getting bored and keep your significant other involved so that you have the good backing. Me personally, I want my next job to be fun and enjoyable without getting woke up by a siren for SAR or LE flights just when you fall asleep in RDY crew berthing. I enjoy my job but come 20yr mark I'm looking for a new adventure. I'll be 42 vice 38 cause of my break in service. You have alot of options having your A&P, like working at an FBO and being able to fly after you fix possibly too. I know you are looking at Corporate primarily. Just saying look at everything you have and weigh it out to what you want to be able to do on the outside sector with your pension to supplement and you should do good. I'm looking to get on with a cargo hauler like Ameriflight flying their planes or doing maintenance for em or work for an FBO doing the same thing and flying charter stuff. Get your Commercial pilot cert and if I'm not mistaken 1/2 your FE time also counts toward your ATP cert. Network with the other pilots while getting your ratings, which will help you build the time you need too or get you a good price on buying your own plane to build or split time. Who you now really counts. Really soul search and research what you want to go into Bro. Hope I helped you some.

Jnav
USCG