View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Red80 View Post
Short on night hours but don’t really have the money to go buy them.
Seriously? You don't have enough money to rent a Cessna 152 for five hours?

I didn't just MAKE UP the :

(b) A person who has performed at least 20 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop may substitute each additional night takeoff and landing to a full stop for 1 hour of night flight time to satisfy the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this section; however, not more than 25 hours of night flight time may be credited in this manner.

That's straight out of CFR › Title 14 › Chapter I › Subchapter D › Part 61 › Subpart G › Section 61.159

Rent the cheapest aircraft you can rent for five hours and do as many takeoffs and landings to a full stop as necessary in that five hours to get yourself up to a total of 45 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop. Then log the five hours and then log the additional 25 hours for each extra takeoff and landing. At night at some not terribly busy airport you'll likely have the pattern to yourself and can get easily get six landings and takeoffs an hour, especially if the field is long enough to do stop and goes.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to go haring off to Alaska to have fun, that's great and I hope you have fun, but just getting there and back is likely to cost you more than 5 hours of Cessna 152 time, and a few months delay at a large regional could easily put you behind another 60-90 guys in seniority.

Your choice.