View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Burton78
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: 737 CA
Default 2019 rates

Originally Posted by RJSAviator76 View Post
Yes... it's wrong because you're shorting yourself, not because you're choosing to bid one way or another.

While I do think that people should bid how they like, I have to agree with RJS on this one and think people should bid more intelligently. You never know when you'll win that POT award due to the reasons listed earlier (people over the cap, vacation, illegal etc.). Therefore as a first year guy, you are potentially shorting yourself if you only bid straight. There are beau coup trips that are awarded to reserves and as a new hire, you are the only ones in in the system that can just pick up the phone and call scheduling to pick up said trips to essentially get paid premium (second year rates).

Why sell yourself short by only bidding straight when it's just a phone call away should the trip ultimately get awarded to a reserve? Unless you really really want the trip, even as a new hire, I don't see why you wouldn't bid premium. These days, odds are that it's going to reserve anyway and you have a nice ace up your sleeve for second year pay regardless of how you initially bid.

Just my thoughts as a greedy semi senior FO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk