Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM
wyomingpilot1
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
In your situation I would probably recommend you do the following:

Private part 61 as there is the least amount of difference with 141 which actually robs you of 5 hrs solo but nothing changes in the time it takes you to learn. Still do the ground school with their CFI’s as you can’t teach yourself how to fly. Yes you can study regulations and meteorology by yourself but you can’t dully learn a maneuver from a book.
What exactly would be the benefit of doing PPL under part 61 and hiring their instructors for ground school as you described? What would make this different from taking the 141 program?

Also one more question how come there are scores of accounts on the internet of flight training from 0 - CFI costing 60-100k? When I talk to the chief CFI at the local flight school and add up their numbers (which they do not seem to skimp on- they quote PPL at 60 hours rental for instance) I get closer to 40k with possibility of being around 30k with divine providence or extreme frugality playing a role. Am I just looking at very economical flight school or being hopelessly optimistic that I could start taking pilot's work after 30-40k?

thanks again!