Old 12-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Macchi30
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post
Hi All,

Just joined this forum. Has been my experience so far that pilots are a community who look out for an help each other, which I think is awesome.

My 17 y.o. son is taking his check-ride/ earning his PPL this month. He wants to be a commercial pilot for a career. Applying for a flight program at universities to start next year.

I notice the FAA changed it's regulations to allow up to 50 hours toward the 250 needed for a commercial license and I think 100 hours toward the 1000 needed for a restricted ATP license l in a Full Type D flight simulator. Are there any simulators one can purchase that, while maybe hokey and maybe PC based, technically can be used for these hours?

I see some Type D simulators cost millions, and yet I'm just wondering if there is a version that qualifies that "counts" toward these goals that might be PC based or cheaper. He has a wet rate of about 100.00 to fly now- only pays for fuel. I'm on a bit of a mission to avoid spending 70k to get to 250 hours like the colleges he is looking for estimate! So if there is such a thing as a 3000.00 simulator that counts to use for 100 hours, we'd jump on it. I'm doubtful there is but figured I would please ask.

Apologies that I'm showing my lack of knowledge here, but if you have any recommendations, please let me know. All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Hermie
That’s what I did, I qualified under Part 61 for my commercial with 200TT and 50sim. But, just like everyone else has said, it MUST be in an FAA approved simulator, and it must be instruction