Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM
golfandfly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by rvfanatic View Post
Is this how business is conducted elsewhere?

It seems unfortunate that new hires on probation lack union protections and these sorts of issues are not addressed at a lower level first. This is the second story I've heard of at purple in the last two weeks where an individual was given the "resign or we'll fire you and tarnish your record" ultimatum.

It's interesting because in interviews, HR likes to hear about how applicants have people skills and can pull colleagues aside and ask questions or make corrections as needed without issues being elevated. But in both stories I've heard, the probation pilot had zero chance at interaction with the accused party or their own management team. I'm all for holding individuals accountable and loyalty and integrity are extremely important to me, but is this the right way of going about it?
It sounds pretty clear cut to me. Was he disciplined? Yes. Did he answer the question truthfully? No.

If these events were as trivial as he says, he still would have been hired after he explained his situation. Lots of people get hired with bigger issues, and as long as you were truthful, it’s not a big deal. Sometimes people use these issues in their interview to show the company that they’ve made mistakes and learned from them.

Very few people get fired from Fedex. Stealing and lying will get you fired. They allow mistakes and as long as you didn’t intentially break the rules, you’re probably ok (bring guns through security unintentionally is an exception).