View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by full of luv View Post
I've never heard of a company that allows PBS to run, and then drops vacation on top of it. That system would be very lucrative, more than either line bidding and/or PBS as most operate it now.

I imagine you'd have to give up something a plenty to negotiate a major to implement PBS with vacation drops after PBS run...... unless the company thought it would get PBS and then get rid of that provision as soon as a trip through BK could gut the contract again.....

PBS is a HUGE savings to the company in the end, so if implemented, it should be done with a huge payoff.

Pinnacle had that (vacation placed after the PBS run) as a regional, I remember someone else did too but don't recall who. It worked out for super senior pilots but junior pilots didn't tend to get much out of it. The change to pre-award for vacation with a decent credit for vacation days was better for most (if not all) of the pilot group from a QOL standpoint due to more productive trips being available for bidding and the vacation credit reducing the amount of credit needed to make the window. With enough bid credit given to each vacation day for PBS to work with, it doesn't hurt as bad as you seem to think to have vacation placed prior to PBS running. The bigger key is the contractual rules surrounding PBS.

And if you think PBS rules would simply be changed by a trip through bankruptcy, line bidding could be changed to PBS the same way. Bankruptcy courts seem to be more apt to go after pay rates than work rules.