View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM
cadetdrivr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by detpilot View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think pay should factor in. Either you're able to extend mentally and physically, or you're not.

Also not a fan of the just say no people. Our job is to move people, and if you're saying no because you don't feel fit, then I'm 100% with you. If you're saying no for ANY other reason (I've heard them all), and not even giving consideration to the thought that you might be able to safely complete the flight in full contractual compliance, then you are wrong.

If you can look that passenger in the eye who's going to miss their father's funeral, or whatever else, and say anything other than "I couldn't get you there because I don't feel it was safe and prudent" then you're part of the problem.

/rant
/Rant

Lots of folks worked very hard to rationalize duty times compared to the old rules. In the good (bad) old days UAL had better contractual duty limits compared to the old FARs. Today, the UPA matches 117.

Simply ALWAYS saying yes is essentially the elimination of those improved FARs, making the whole point of the improvements, well, pointless. The extension is supposed to be the exception, not the expectation.

If the airline does not have enough pilots to fly the schedule that's a management problem, not a pilot problem.