View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 07:13 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post

RD might be the smartest guy in the room re scope but I can assure you that the collective Borg brain of almost 15,000 pilots trumps his big brain.

With memrat, I just dont see this as a big deal insofar as being "had" by the company...
That view completely downplays the dangers of a bad TA Section 1 though. You're basically saying it won't happen because it can't happen. But it can happen and it has happened. IMO this will be the company's biggest power play for C19 by far.

PS is too emotional to really do anything about now, plus they've completely caved to the non cons so that ship has sailed. Any significant attempt to roll that back now would result in a yellow (safety) vest outcry from the proletariat.

Sec 3 is obviously one of the more emphasized sections, as well as where a large portion of the pie resides, but there's no way they can come hard to the paint with something so eye watering that we'll willingly and knowingly cave on Scope at this point.

Work rules are extremely complex and convoluted, (does anyone truly understand just the reroute rules in their entirety and in real time?) but we can expect some attempt to claw some more "productivity" while throwing a few bones the other way for the appearance of balance and/or division. Never underestimate the emotional effect of a small number of "good deals" on one side of the scale in an attempt to balance out disproportionate raw deals for more on the other.

But Scope is the Alpha and the Omega of a CBA. That section determines who every other section applies to and how many jobs thee company can farm outside the CBA in the first place, specifically to avoid the CBA in its entirety. Its not simply a weight on the scale, its the unit of measurement for the scale itself.

While its early WRT the news of this particular position, we're absolutely correct to assume that this may be an attempt to assault, either directly or through obfuscation our Sec 1 in C19.

I agree about the 15,000 observers watching the watchers though. That's our ace in the hole. But only if we don't take anything for granted. Sec 1, especially convoluted language about a million JV's etc is a high threat to watch. They can't sneak us a pay table with cuts in it and get 50.1% but the threat of a Sec 1 with holes in it (i.e. "we didn't think they would do THAT!") is very real.