View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
I for one don’t actually care that he has done this as it is within the rules. But you have to agree on a pure optics level, this feels a bit dirty to switch from union leadership position to a management leadership position. As you have said it’s not inherently bad, having pilot advocates in management is a good thing, it just worries us line swine not understanding motives.

There is a troubling trend, particularly at the ALPA National level of turning those positions into lucrative corporate positions, some while also receiving a pension. The motivation for “serving” the union should be the pilots well being, as is the case with the majority of volunteers. There should be a non compete clause that can be violated but only at a significant price that at least the union receives a monetary windfall for losing “talent.”

Then we only have to worry about being represented by pilots that don’t want to fly, not constantly having to wonder if we are being represented by management wannabes or prospective politicians with conflicting motives.
I absolutely agree with your point.

Do you see a difference in representative and administrative positions?

The truth of the matter is, it is not often that a union officer, or administrator, has the ability or political viability to function in a corporation. Delta is a bit unique in that arena.

More broadly, in politics, members of the Chamber of Commerce (which almost all businesses are, including one I own - ugh) are on a war against organized labor. Having a union position on your resume is toxic in most cases. My service in ALPA has easily cost me $300,000 in lost revenue from my side hustle. It is kind of like wearing a "Planned Parenthood for Hillary" shirt while trying to sell insurance at an NRA convention.