View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
All the more reason to get it right. The ponit of the thread, that we must change the regulation to allow cat naps, now clarified by your asssertion that we must have them because they're the only way to safely complete a flight....
Now John, to use your own words: Don't put words in my mouth, or attribute to me that which I did not say. I didn't say they were the only way to safely complete a flight. Read. I said the options were limited.

If pilots are fatigued enough that they can't make it A to B without a power nap, then let's not correct the reason they can't stay awake...after all, when the barn burns down, we should de-horn all the cows. That'll fix the fire. Or we could look for reasons the barn. might burn down and fix those. Bandaids only go so far.
Now who wants to change the world? In a perfect world, that sounds great. You really want to approach this by trying to fix the myriad of circumstances that might result in a fatigued pilot on an airplane? What's your plan with that? How do you suggest we fix a maid accidentally waking a pilot or somehow solve the simple fact that his body clock is still back on Iowa time and he's on the other side of the world? In my opinion, there are too many possible "reasons they can't stay awake" to correct them all. We have fatigue calls if someone can recognize they're not fit to fly before departure. But, what if they feel okay at departure and still struggle enroute? I don't think your suggestion for a solution here is realistic.

If the problem is serious enough that we want to create the institution of cat naps, then for damn sure we need to have a solid footing beyond anecdotal.
Why? What's so critical about giving someone the option? If they work for some pilots why do they need to prove that to some regulatory agency.

That settles it then.

Anecdotal science. Let's change the world.
Yes. It settles it for me. Of course I can't apply my personal experiences to anyone else. I wasn't suggesting that. But on the other hand, I don't think absolute scientific proof is required to allow an individual the option if they feel it would help them.