View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by viper548 View Post
Skywest has fired people before for what they heard on the CVR. It sounds like you are referencing that event.
Out of the airlines I've worked for, at least three have fired folks based at least partly on the CVR. One of those was a ground incident where the CA was 100% at fault (left side collision), but the FO was fired because the CVR was very painful to hear. Another crew made an honest mistake, but compounded that by gross SOP and sterile non-compliance... they executed a spectacular save but were fired nonetheless. If they had run some checklists in there and sounded a little more professional it would have been a learning event as opposed to career-termination.

I've had one or two incidents but fortunately by that time I had learned from others and was in the habit of putting on a good show for anyone who might listen in later. In those cases I just called the CP, told him what happened, he said no worries and I went home and slept well. I would not have slept well if I hadn't know that the CVR was "clean".

If you're in the 98% of airline pilots who will never get their CVR pulled, then feel free to disregard this, no need to inconvenience yourself with sterile, checklists or any of that SOP crap.