View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 AM
Shemya
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Gulfstream Driver

Originally Posted by StickPig View Post
Good evening, all. I’m trying to make a decision between the job I have now vs. the airlines. I have a CJO from CommutAir which has the CPP, as you know. Currently I work for my state flying the governor making $71k, but home every night. Raises are up to legislature and out of my control, so the money is stagnant. My question is this: we have a baby boy due in February and I’d just like to hear from some of the seasoned pilots here if given the chance you’d pick the airlines all over again. Missing some birthdays, anniversaries, etc is it all worth it in the end? I’m not just speaking monetary terms, but the quality of the job, the career satisfaction. I have a pretty healthy marriage and this is our first kid together, so it’s just clouding my judgment a bit.

Thanks for the time, Cheers!
I am at the end of my major airline career having navigated the path you are considering. I am now flying Gulfstreams around the world. I certainly would do it all over again. Yes there are some lost family times, there however is also that trip to London that ended there, where you took you family and spent the week. There is most importantly the security of career LTD and lifetime medical. It is really hard to find an aviation job better than a major. Everyone for the most part pays their dues to get to a major.

My goal when I retired was to look to the sky, see a set of contrails and never say “I wish I would have”. I have achieved that goal.

Best of luck to you!