Thread: Chinese Cessna
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I was a little disappointed when I heard the SC was getting subbed out to China, it seems a little bit unpatriotic to send the work off and China is a pretty marginal country to have making aircraft. But we are talking about a very simple airplane, there is not that much of a way to mess it up. The key components will all be shipped in from domestic manufacturers. Chinese will do the metal forming, riveting and final assembly, which are not all that hard to do. In the meantime new entry level aircraft have gone crazy expensive in the US with a 4-seat trainer costing as much as a modest house. Something has to be done about this, and I think this is why a thousand SkyCatchers sold before anyone had even flown one. I would rather buy an entry-level plane that is designed and supervised by Cessna than some Chinese or Taiwanese firm, and I suspect such products will eventually appear from these countries as they realize that a market exists. As far as how they get them here, I tend to think they will be shipped wings off.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-03-2007 at 03:46 AM.