Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

AUG 27, 2015
Originally Posted by magic rat View Post

Here's some other goodies I've read.
1) Usage of sleep room IN LIEU OF hotel during hub turns.

Originally Posted by pipe View Post

1) That would put us back to square one, wandering around like zombies due to shortage of sleep rooms. The sleep room availability was a part of FDX's argument for a cargo cutout.

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post

How are these rumors even possible? Are we negotiating with a company that has recently emerged from bankruptcy??? NO! Is our airline about to go into bankruptcy??? NO!!! This concessionary language is insane. And the 'leaks' or rumors keep getting worse and worse.

The points above, along with no A-plan increase, will be an instant NO vote for me, I will stop reading the remainder of the TA regardless of hourly payrate, and backpay.

Please MEC, do NOT send this to the tired masses (majority?) who can only think "Contract Now".

AUG 28, 2015
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

First, note the language is in BLUE text. Scroll back to the top of the page to see that BLUE text denotes "Company gained efficiencies". That's double-talk for "concessions agreed to."

Then note the specific verbiage used. It's not the pilot's choice, it's The Company's choice:

if an intermediate stop is less than 5 hours and the stop occurs during the night or critical duty period (or during a domestic duty period at the Memphis hub sort facility), the Company may substitute a sleep room in the hub sort facility for a hotel room;

Interestingly, we recently received a communication from the Professional Standards Committee:

A situation is occurring in the Indy hub that has to be addressed. A number of pilots whose schedule gives them a hotel room are choosing instead to use a sleep room. This takes the sleep rooms away from those pilots who do not have a hotel room. Now they are not getting enough rest and the hotel rooms are empty.

Don't do this. We have the rooms for safety reasons and now some pilots are sleep deprived because of some short-sighted pilots. We should be keeping each other honest on this so management does not have to check schedules against the sleep room sign-in sheet. Let's fix this now for our fellow union members.

Apparently our Negotiating Committee doesn't talk to our Professional Standards Committee. Last week it was unsafe; next week it's the CBA?

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

I left that part out because (A) it is irrelevant to the quality of rest one can get in a sleep room versus the quality of rest he can get in a 10' x 10' cubicle with a twin bed and a chair (and noisy neighbors) and (B) we have no control over the block-in to block-out schedules. The Company controls the schedules, and they are not bound to make them realistic. Hmm, I need to cancel a hotel here, need a couple more sleep rooms, OK, let's schedule Flight XYZ to block out at O'Dark-thirty instead of -thirty-seven, and their turn will be 2:28. Of course, they'll never leave on time, but at least they won't be taking up two sleep rooms.

As it stands today, a pilot jumpseating in to go to work, or a pilot finishing a trip and jumpseating home can use a sleep room if they are available. When The Company starts using sleep rooms instead of hotel rooms for pilots who should get them now, don't expect those extra sleep rooms to be available.

The proposition is ridiculous. Why did we give up hotel rooms for rest periods that rate them?

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post

Tony how many hub turn hotels do we use in Memphis? How many sleep rooms do jumpseaters get to use in Ind? If anything this will require the company to make more sleep rooms.

... right now we are short of sleep rooms in INDY, I don't think this is a big deal, ...

Only if they build more Indy sleep rooms, right now they don't have enough. It is a little concession, ...

NOV 3, 2018
FCIF (Paraphrase) The INDY Hub doesn't have enough sleep rooms for all the pilots turning through there on a nightly basis. We only have to provide hotel rooms if the scheduled turn is 4:00 or more, but out of the graciousness of our hearts, we're going to provide hotel rooms for turns of 3:45 or more. Merry Christmas!

Wow. Who would have seen that coming?