View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by sherpster View Post
well, just goes to show you shouldnt trust a damn thing I say. Those greedy pilots. Seriously, I really dont see people staying past 65 but I have been wrong before about a lot of things
I do. Guy retiring within six months. Has a corporate job lined up. Not my cup of tea.

But staying here past 65? The value of staying is over $600,000 a year for a G4 Captain (pay, retirement savings growth, medical<minor in the big picture).

If you're senior enough you can drop to 8 months of a trip a month, and four months of 3 trips a month, would generate $140-160K a year for a G4 CA. G4 FO would be $100-110K. Add in 401K payments and you're doing ok. The downside is you're not earning your A fund. For the more senior guys that's a significant amount ($30-50K), for the junior guys it's less of a loss.

The guy getting the corporate job might do it in a heartbeat. Who knows how many of them exist? IDK. For others it wouldn't matter and they'd retire regardless and for some it might be a month by month, or even day by day, decision.