Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 AM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by Diesel10pilot View Post
My daughter has been a member of Navy ROTC. She has not been under scholarship. A couple weeks ago she received her assignment of NFO. She wants to be a pilot. She will graduate in May with a economics and minor in math degree. She is close to completing her
private pilots license.

What advice would you give her? I have co workers that have suggested she try and get a pilot slot with a guard unit. Does anyone know of units that are actively looking? She is willing to go anywhere, even Fairbanks lol

Thank you,

Mickey
I’m assuming as non scholarship student that she has no commitments. Simple questions...does she want to be a military pilot, airline pilot or simply just serve her country?

If she doesn’t want to be an airline pilot then serving as an NFO will make a great Navy career. Pilots are leaving in droves and the path to O6 and command seem to be easier these days for NFOs. There may be an opportunity after a few years to transition to pilot but the path until her service obligations are done would be about 15 years. It is also very competitive.

If she wants to be a military pilot - don’t accept the Navy offer and find an air guardunit or USAF officer recruiter.

If she principally wants to be an airline pilot then go find a guard unit or private flight school as that is the fastest route to an RJ.